Who are we
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With about 100 employees and more than 50.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of more than 40 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users. Our vision: A world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
For our Software Development Department we are now looking for an experienced and hands-on Engineering Manager (m/f) to lead our Wikidata team. Wikidata is a cornerstone of Wikimedia’s future strategy: a free collaborative, licensed database to store the knowledge of the world. The team currently consists of 8 engineers, product managers, community managers & designers who work on exciting open source technologies like Wikidata Query Service,Wikibase or integrate Wikidata in Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. Our development teams are cross-functional and highly autonomous. They work directly with the product owner and our open source software community.
- support your team’s members in constantly enhancing their skills and following their individual career paths, including regular performance reviews
- organize your team in a way that enables each team member and the team as a whole to meet their set goals effectively
- collaboratively develop efficient work and decision making processes with your team and optimise them regularly
- monitor your team’s engineering processes, ensure their quality and report your team’s progress to the head of department
- coordinate with other teams and departments (i.e., products) as well as external service providers and enable agile engineering processes
- recruit and hire new team members
- You have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, another relevant technical field or the equivalent in work experience, ideally combining work experience with both software architecture and development
- You have significant leadership experience in the internet or software industry
- You have 1+ years of experience in managing a software engineering team, including the development and evaluation of effective work processes that ensure high quality work results
- You have 3+ years of experience in working in a fast moving software development environment, are familiar with a wide range of agile methods and know which methods work best when
- You are an empathetic listener with outstanding communication skills
- You are a positive-thinking and passionate team leader who enjoys bridging gaps and enabling a team to fulfill ist potential
- You are used to working in English with a culturally diverse and geographically distributed software engineering team
- You have experience with with structured databases and open source software development and support the latter values
- An influential and challenging position in the largest non-profit organisation on the distribution of free knowledge worldwide
- Your work will have a noticeable impact on one of the top five visited websites in the world, and decisively influence the future of Wikipedia
- Room to develop and co-create a new leadership culture in the Wikimedia Deutschland Software Development Department
- A culturally diverse team and an energetic work atmosphere in our office in the heart of Berlin
- A temporary contract with the intention to offer a permanent contract after the first period
- Flexible work hours
- The opportunity to attend local user groups or internal presentations by our developers on topics they are enthusiastic about during working hours – or hold presentations yourself
- The opportunity to attend conferences, both as speakers and participants
Interested in applying? Great! To begin your application, please send your full application (letter of motivation and a CV without picture, date of birth, family status und parents’ occupation) to our recruiting agency Talents4Good. In the application form, please put your preferred start date and your salary expectation in the field “Notizen”.
Due to the team-based selection procedure on this position, your application documents will also be passed on to selected future colleaguces. Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or other opinion, sex, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.
You can find all information about Jobs & Products of the WMDE Software Development and Engineering Department in english here: https://software.wikimedia.de/